Diploma in Data Science Course Overview
The Diploma in Data Science has been designed by Microsoft in association with CCT College Dublin & is accredited by Microsoft at an industry certification level which Microsoft deem comparable to Level 7 of the NFQ.
Why should I take this Diploma in Data Science course?
The programme aims to provide learners with upskilling and reskilling opportunities in the areas of data science, business analytics, visualisations and machine learning. It will provide course participants with the core knowledge and skills to develop an understanding of how data science and it’s related fields will impact on the modern workplace of the future.
Features of the programme include:
• The programme has been designed to provide upskilling and reskilling opportunities in the area of Data Science and Machine Learning
• The programme delivered in partnership with Microsoft using CCT and Microsoft expert tutors
• The programme will be delivered by expert tutors drawn from academia and industry
• Skills based provision using practical industry aligned integrated assessment
• Globally accredited programme deemed comparable by Microsoft to the Irish National Framework of Qualifications
• The programme will be delivered in CCT College Dublin and Microsoft state of the art facilities
• The programme is funded up to 90% through the national Springboard+ initiative for those in employment and 100% funded by Springboard+ for those who are currently unemployed or returning to the workplace (subject to eligibility).
How is the Diploma in Data Science taught?
The programme is a one year academic part-time course delivered over three semesters each of which is twelve weeks in duration. A series of lectures, practical labs and application workshops will be delivered over two evenings per week with an additional three Saturdays per semester being included.
Classes will be held in CCT College Dublin, 30-34 Westmoreland St. Dublin 2 and One Microsoft Place, Leopardstown, Dublin 18.
What skills will I develop on the Diploma in Data Science?
In this programme, you will learn to:
- Use Microsoft Excel to explore data
- Create data models and visualize data
- Apply statistical methods to data
- Use programming to explore & transform data
- Follow a data science methodology
- Create and validate machine learning models
- Apply data science techniques to common scenarios.
In addition, transferable skills that will be developed throughout the programme include: critical analysis, advanced evaluation, self-analysis and personal reflection, problem solving, communication skills, writing skills, team management and group-work and professionalism.
How will I be assessed?
The programme adopts an innovative integrated assessment approach, using practical and industry relevant assessment methodologies and techniques. Where applicable, the programme draws elements
from separate subjects to be combined into a single assessment, thereby dramatically reducing the students assignment workload.
The programme content reflects contemporary design and content which provides learners with the opportunity to build a core foundation knowledge in the areas of data science, business analytics, visualisation and machine learning. The subject modules as outlined below have been co-designed with Microsoft and it’s Irish Partner Network of over 1,000 companies.
Subject modules included on the programme are:
- Digital Transversal Skills
- Problem Solving and Mathematics for IT
- Data Queries and Visualisation Basics
- Statistical Thinking for Data Science and Analytics
- Using R language to develop solutions
- Data Science Essentials
- Principles of Machine Learning
In addition to the above, a series of practical Application Workshops will be delivered by industry experts throughout the programme duration.
Admission to this programme is through one of the following:
Evidence of prior learning, including experiential learning,
Possession of an NFQ level 5 award, including leaving certificate, FET award, or equivalent.
In addition, all applicants must evidence competence in mathematics equivalent to H5 standard in leaving certificate and competence in the use of IT. Basic computer literacy is not sufficient for this programme.
International applicants whose first language isn’t English must demonstrate a minimum competency in the English
Language of CEFR B2+.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for entry based on prior learning (RPL) or prior experiential learning (RPEL) in line with the College policy. The College will thoroughly assess applications received through RPL and RPEL to ensure that candidates are able to evidence learning to an appropriate standard – normally the framework level equivalent to the direct entry qualification requirement and demonstrate potential to succeed and benefit from the programme.
Those who are in employment/working :
For eligible applicants who are currently in employment/working 90% of the tuition fees will be covered by the HEA through Springboard+ and the remaining 10% is payable by the student or their employer.
The full fee for this course is €4,975 so for successful applicants who are in employment €497.50 will be payable once you have been offered a place and before you enrol on your Springboard+ course.
Those who are unemployed, formerly self-employed or ‘Returners’:
This course is free for eligible applicants who are unemployed, formerly self-employed or who are classified by Springboard+ as ‘Returners’ or ‘Homemakers’.
Application for this programme should be made via the Springboard+ courses website.
Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.