|Course Title||Diploma in Mobile Application Development|
|Typical Schedule||11 Weeks, 1 Evening per week|
|Intakes per year||Autumn and Spring|
|Next Commencement Date||Autumn 2018|
|Learning Mode||Traditional Classroom Based|
Mobile App Development Course Overview and Audience
This mobile app development course provides the learner with a foundation in native mobile application development. The learner is first introduced into the variety of different development approaches currently available, outlining the dividing lines between each with a focus placed upon native android application development.
During this programme, each of the core areas of native application development will be explored such as designing a user interface, integrating with data storage solutions and access to external resources such as web content and data feeds. With the number of different technologies available on modern smart phones, the learner is guided through real world examples of how GPS, sensors and audio-visual data can be gathered from a device. The primary programming language used during the application development is Java, with additional XML.
The course is aimed at learners who have no previous experience with mobile application development and wish to start in this area. No prior knowledge or skills in app development are needed for this programme.
Programme Aims and Objectives
The aim of this programme is to introduce the learner to the skills and knowledge needed to develop custom native android application using leading tools and frameworks.
Objectives for this course are to:
- enable the leaner to compare the different technologies currently available and decide which is best for a current mobile application project.
- follow the design patterns are standards currently used in industry during mobile application development.
- provide the learner with the skills needed to develop a bespoke interactive user interface for a native mobile application.
- harness existing technologies and services available to further enhance the ability of a mobile application.
- develop robust maintainable code that can interact with a variety of different data storage solutions including on device and external services.
- Week 1
Overview of mobile application development
Native Vs. Hybrid Applications
Integrated Development Environments
- Week 2
Control structures and variables
Classes and Objects
- Week 3
User Interface Design
UI Widgets and Components
- Week 4
Data storage and file system
- Week 5
Images and Media
Recording and Playback
- Week 6
GPS Location Services
Google Maps integration
- Week 7
Web protocols and integration
- Week 8
Coding standards and practice
Design patterns in code
- Week 9
Data backup and centralization
- Week 10
Cloud based service integration
- Week 11
App Store introduction and policies
During this programme, the learner will be required to develop a custom mobile application using the technologies that are introduced each week. This allows the learner to focus upon the development of a mobile application relevant to their area of interest.
*Provisional – subject to change