Funded by the Government of Ireland as part of the July Stimulus Higher Education Provision
Diploma in Python Programming Course Overview and Audience
The National Skills Bulletin 2019 identifies a number of ICT roles where there is currently not a sufficient supply of suitably qualified staff. Shortages identified include programming and software development. This flexible programme aims to expose learners to one of the most popular programming languages, Python, via the object oriented approach to programming, and producing reusable code capable of being integrated into multiple business applications.
This modular course will appeal to a range of adult learners who may be currently in employment and wish to up-skill, or returners and other groups who may wish to re-skill and are seeking to develop their knowledge in python on a flexible modular basis. It will give those working in IT, marketing or finance a knowledge of python programming which will help enable them to work more effectively within cross functional teams and aid them in analysing data more effectively.
This CCT College Dublin modular course consists of modules from CCT’s Level 7 Diploma in Applied Software Development (60 credits) awarded by QQI. The modular course certificate is awarded by CCT and is not an NFQ award but successful completion of the modules will entitle the learner to a transcript confirming the ECTS attained and the NFQ level of those ECTS. Upon successful completion of the programme learners will be entitled to exemptions from the specified modules on the Diploma in Applied Software Development at CCT College Dublin. Successful completion of the programme may also entitle a learner to exemptions from alternative programmes, including those offered by other Higher Education Institutions, subject to entry requirements.
Python Programming – Object Oriented Approach
The aim of this module is to provide the learner with knowledge of fundamental programming constructs and their use in the structure and designing of algorithms while making use of relevant application programming interfaces conforming to the principles of Object Oriented Design and good programming practices and conventions suitable for the workplace.
On successful completion of this module the learner will be able to:
- Understand and employ fundamental concepts and principles of programming such as variables, Boolean expressions, control flow structures, methods, arrays, etc.
- Demonstrate a structured approach to algorithmic design and problem solving and exhibit professional development best practices in designing and developing robust, maintainable software
- Illustrate and relate object-oriented concepts (encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism) and employ them to solve practical, real-world problems
- Differentiate, select and utilise suitable application programming interfaces in the construction of software
- Discriminate between elements of object-oriented programming (abstract and nested classes, interfaces, access modifiers, etc.) and employ them appropriately in programme construction.
Those who are in employment/working :
For eligible applicants who are currently in employment/working 90% of the tuition fees will be covered by the HEA and the remaining 10% is payable by the student or their employer.
- The Course Tuition Fee is €860 so €86 is payable by the student or their employer
Those who are unemployed, formerly self-employed and ‘Returners’:
The course is free and 100% funded for eligible applicants who are unemployed, formerly self-employed or who are classified by the HEA as ‘Returners’ or ‘Homemakers’.
Admission to this modular programme is through one of the following:
Evidence of prior learning, including experiential learning,
Possession of an NFQ level 5 award, including leaving certificate, FET award, or equivalent.
International applicants whose first language isn’t English must demonstrate a minimum competency in the English Language of CEFR B2+.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for entry based on prior learning (RPL) or prior experiential learning (RPEL) in line with the College policy. The College will thoroughly assess applications received through RPL and RPEL to ensure that candidates are able to evidence learning to an appropriate standard – normally the framework level equivalent to the direct entry qualification requirement and demonstrate potential to succeed and benefit from the programme.
This course will be delivered online. Online activities can include live or pre-recorded lectures, independent learning and assessment activities such as research tasks, discussion forums, simulations, quizzes and e-portfolio work along with online group activities such as live classes, group project work, virtual labs and tutorials.